Community transport passenger assistant
Community transport passenger assistants accompany elderly people or adults and children with disabilities, on local journeys.
Salary range: £11,000 to £13,000
How to become a care escort
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
A college course like a Level 1 Certificate in Health and Social Care can give you an introduction to working in the care sector.
There are no set entry requirements for this route.
Volunteering and experience
A common way into this job is to volunteer as a care escort with your local community transport organisation. There are no set entry requirements but experience in social care or customer service can be useful.
You’ll find details of local organisations through the Community Transport Association.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- a desire to help people
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- checking timetables for pick-ups
- talking to carers and families
- helping people to and from the vehicle
- securing passengers, wheelchairs and baggage
- dealing with emergencies
- supervising passengers at all times
- keeping the mini-bus tidy
- filling in paperwork
You could work from a vehicle.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could move into administration or management.
You could also become a driver, which would open up more full-time opportunities.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.