Cruise ship steward
Cruise ship stewards clean and service cabins on board cruise ships.
Salary range: Variable
How to become a cruise ship steward
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- applying directly
You could do a college course, like a Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering, which would teach you some of the skills and knowledge you need in this job.
You’ll usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could apply to work as a cruise ship steward directly or through specialist agencies.
There are no formal requirements, but experience of working in a hotel, restaurant or bar can be useful. GCSEs in English and maths will be helpful.
Customer service is an important part of the role, so most cruise liners will expect you to have worked in a customer service job before.
As you’ll be travelling around the world, it may be helpful if you can speak a second language.
You can get more advice about careers in hospitality and tourism through the Hospitality Guild.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to work well with others
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- excellent verbal communication skills
- a desire to help people
- knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties might include:
- showing guests to their cabins
- taking food and drink orders
- making beds
- supplying fresh linen
- vacuuming floors
- replacing mini bar items and providing a bill
- replacing stocks and supplies
You could work on a cruise ship.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
With experience you could progress to a supervisor post, like assistant housekeeper.
You could also move into other areas like working as a croupier in the casino, or entertainment or restaurant work.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.