Audio typist, copy typist
Data entry clerks type information into databases and systems and create letters, reports and other documents.
Salary Range: £12,000 to £25,000 (full-time)
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You could take a college course to develop your computer skills while looking for work. Courses include:
- Level 1 Certificate for IT Users (New CLAiT)
- Level 2 European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) Certificate in IT User Skills
There are no set entry requirements for this route.
You could get into this job through an intermediate apprenticeship as an IT application specialist.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You could move into data entry work if you’ve got office experience, for example, as an administrative assistant.
Employers will give you training on the job, covering their data entry systems.
You can apply for jobs directly if you’ve got experience of word processing, spreadsheets and databases. Employers may also ask for GCSEs in English and maths.
You would normally be tested for keyboard skills and accuracy in entering data when you go for an interview.
Skills and knowledge
- administration skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- customer service skills
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to work on your own
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with your hands
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- entering personal details of customers into a database
- entering information for classified adverts in a newspaper
- transferring paper-based market research results
- updating patients’ medical records
- processing invoices
You could work in an office.
With experience, you could become a supervisor or team leader. You could also train and mentor new employees.