Fish and chip shop assistant, takeaway counter assistant
Fish friers work in fish and chip shops and seafood restaurants. They prepare and cook food, and serve customers.
Salary range: £13,500 to £19,000
How to become a fish frier
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
- specialist courses run by an industry body
You can get into this job through an intermediate apprenticeship in catering.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly for jobs. Experience in catering, food service or customer service will be helpful. Some employers may ask for GCSEs, including English and maths.
You can do specialist food safety and health and safety courses through the National Federation of Fish Friers. They also offer short courses in fish frying and fish and chip shop management.
Professional and industry bodies
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- sensitivity and understanding
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to enjoy working with other people
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- customer service skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
Some employers may ask for a food hygiene certificate, although you can often get this on the job.
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- taking stock deliveries from suppliers
- preparing and cooking food
- serving customers and making up orders
- taking payments
- changing oil in the fryers
- keeping eating and work areas clean and tidy
- ordering stock from wholesalers
You could work at a restaurant or in a food outlet.
Your working environment may be hot.
Career path and progression
With experience you could become a shop supervisor or manager.
You could also move into catering management or set up your own business.