Kitchen hand, kitchen attendant
Kitchen porters clean, wash up and prepare food to keep hotel, restaurant and hospital kitchens running smoothly.
Salary range: £13,000 to £18,000
How to become a kitchen porter
You can get into this job through:
- college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
There are no set requirements, but it might help if you take a college course in cookery or hospitality like:
- Level 1 Award in Introduction to Employment in the Hospitality Industry
- Level 1 Certificate in General Cookery
- Level 1 Certificate in General Hospitality
You’ll usually need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
You could do a hospitality team member intermediate apprenticeship.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly for jobs. There are no set requirements, though some employers may ask for GCSEs at grades 9 to 2 (A* to E) in English and maths.
Experience of working in a kitchen would be useful but is not essential.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with your hands
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to work on your own
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- unloading deliveries
- organising the storeroom
- collecting and washing pots, pans, plates and cutlery
- getting pots, pans plates and cutlery back into use quickly
- washing and disinfecting kitchen appliances, work surfaces, floors and walls
- making sure kitchen equipment is properly stored
- removing and recycling waste from the kitchen
You could work at a restaurant.
Your working environment may be hot and humid.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
With experience and training you could progress to kitchen assistant or chef.