Locksmiths install, repair and maintain locks for homes and businesses.
Salary range: £16,000 to £30,000
How to become a locksmith
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
- training with a professional body
You could contact local locksmithing companies to see if they’re prepared to take you on as a trainee.
You’ll find it helps if you have good practical skills, and experience of carpentry, joinery or electronics.
You can also start to train as a locksmith by taking a course through the Master Locksmiths Association.
Master Locksmiths Association qualifications are recognised throughout the industry.
You can find out more about careers in locksmithing from the Master Locksmiths Association.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to use, repair and maintain machines and tools
- customer service skills
- knowledge of public safety and security
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- analytical thinking skills
- persistence and determination
- the ability to work well with others
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- pass background checks
You’ll usually be expected to have a driving licence.
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- fitting locks to doors and windows
- selling, servicing and repairing locks and other security devices
- cutting copies of keys and making new keys
- fitting combination locks and timing devices to safes
- repairing locks on motor vehicles
- providing a call-out service to people locked out of their home or business or after break-ins
You could work at a client’s business or at a client’s home.
Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers and you’ll travel often.
Career path and progression
You could work for a national company, run a franchise or become self-employed.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.