Online personal shopper, warehouse assistant
Order pickers select the products for delivery that customers have chosen to buy online.
Salary range: £14,000 to £23,000
How to become an order picker
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You may be able to do an intermediate apprenticeship for warehouse operatives, depending on where you work.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly for order picking jobs. Some employers may ask for GCSEs in maths and English, or you might have to do a short test at interview to check your practical skills.
Computer skills will also be useful for using online sales systems and stock control scanners.
You may find it useful for some jobs if you’ve done forklift truck training.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be flexible and open to change
- maths knowledge
- knowledge of English language
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- selecting items to match the customer’s order sheet
- using voice-activated picking machines and scanners
- requesting freshly made items from in-house departments like bakeries
- checking product quality
- choosing suitable replacements where stock has sold out
- packing items ready for despatch
- updating customer records on computer systems
- helping customers if working in-store
You could work in a warehouse.
Your working environment may be physically demanding and cold.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could become a shift supervisor then move into section or warehouse management.
You could also become a delivery driver if you work for a supermarket.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.