Packers work in factories and warehouses, putting products into containers like boxes and crates for delivery.
Salary range: £14,000 to £18,000
How to become a packer
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You may be able to start work as a packer through a warehouse operative intermediate apprenticeship. You could do this with a retail, distribution or manufacturing company.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly for jobs. There are no set qualifications to work as a packer. You may have to take an assessment to check your practical skills before being offered a job.
Previous experience in packaging or any manufacturing role can help.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work on your own
- sensitivity and understanding
- to enjoy working with other people
- the ability to work well with your hands
- customer service skills
- knowledge of English language
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You may need a forklift truck licence for certain jobs.
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- packing goods with bubble wrap and polystyrene chips
- sealing containers using glue, staples or shrink-wrap
- weighing and labelling packaged goods
- reporting problems to supervisors
- cleaning work areas
You could work in a factory or in a warehouse.
Your working environment may be cool.
You may need to wear protective clothing.
Career path and progression
With experience you could become a supervisor or shift leader. With training, you could work in quality control or move into delivery work.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.