Pet shop assistant
Pet shop assistants serve customers and look after animals in pet shops.
Salary Range: £14,500 to £17,500
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
- a course run by a specialist training provider
You could do a qualification to improve your career prospects and show employers that you’re committed to learning more about working with animals. Relevant courses include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Animal Management
You’ll usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You can get into this job through an animal care and welfare assistant intermediate apprenticeship.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- equivalent entry requirements
- guide to apprenticeships
Volunteering and experience
Volunteering is a great way to get experience of working with animals and could lead to paid work. You could look for opportunities with the:
- Dogs Trust
- Cats Protection
You may not need any formal qualifications to apply to work in a pet shop. It’ll help if you’ve got experience of working with animals or a background in retail customer service.
You may be able to study with specialist animal welfare college or the Pet Industry Federation for a qualification in animal care.
Course are offered online, in the workplace and at college.
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to use your initiative
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- giving food and water to the animals
- cleaning out cages
- grooming and exercising animals
- advising customers
- selling pet care products
- maintaining stock levels
- dealing with deliveries
- keeping the store clean and tidy
- checking the water temperature and chemical balance in fish tanks
- checking all animals regularly for signs of disease
You could work at a store.
With experience, you could progress to supervisor or manager.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.