Garage assistant, garage shop assistant, petrol station attendant, filling station attendant
Petrol station sales assistants sell fuel and other items to customers in garage forecourt shops.
Salary range: £11,000 to £20,000
How to become a petrol station sales assistant
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You can learn some of the skills you need for this job by doing a Level 2 Certificate or Diploma in Retail Skills.
You’ll usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You may be able to get into this job through a retailer intermediate apprenticeship.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly to petrol station companies. Some employers may ask for GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in English and maths. Experience in retail sales, customer service or cash handling will be helpful.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- the ability to work well with others
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- sensitivity and understanding
- maths knowledge
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- be over 18 years of age
You may need a driving licence and access to a vehicle if you’re working late nights or at a motorway service station.
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- taking cash and card payments for fuel
- selling other products like food, drinks and newspapers
- re-stocking shelves and fridges
- managing fuel and stock deliveries
- keeping forecourt and shop areas clean and tidy
You could work at a store.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could progress to shop supervisor then manager. Many petrol station are owned by supermarkets and you may have opportunities to work in the store.