Tattooists create permanent artwork on their clients’ bodies.
Salary Range: Variable
You can get into this job through:
- working towards this role
You could start as an assistant by finding a tattooist who is willing to take you on and train you.
It may be possible to work as a customer service assistant in a larger studio, answering enquiries and booking appointments. From there, you could become a trainee as opportunities come up.
- an interest in tattooing
- artistic ability
- a portfolio of your artwork and design ideas to showcase your talents
Many tattooists have experience or qualifications in art and design.
Skills and knowledge
- design skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with your hands
- concentration skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to vaccinated against hepatitis B.
Your day-to-day duties might include:
- advising clients on suitable tattoos
- making sure the chosen design is exactly what the client wants
- checking that clients understand that the tattoo is permanent
- copying the chosen design onto the customer’s skin, either by drawing freehand or using a transfer
- following the design lines with an electrically-operated needle, which injects ink under the skin
- making sure all equipment is sterilised and clean, and following strict hygiene and health and safety procedures
You could work in a creative studio.
You may need to wear protective clothing.
You could open your own tattoo studio.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.