Senior tax professional
Tax inspectors make sure the correct amount of tax is paid and investigate cases of fraud.
Salary Range: £27,000 to £53,250
How to become a tax inspector
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
You’ll need to apply for a place on HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Tax Specialist Programme and have one of the following:
- a degree in any subject, minimum second class
- an equivalent award like a professional accountancy qualification
You can find out more about working in taxation from Civil Service Careers.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- knowledge of economics and accounting
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- maths knowledge
- the ability to work on your own
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- meet the Civil Service nationality requirements
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties might include:
- examining business accounts
- visiting businesses to interview board directors, lawyers and accountants
- investigating suspected fraud
- offering specialist advice about tax
- negotiating settlements
- representing HMRC at appeals tribunals
- considering and applying tax law to cases
- leading a team of caseworkers and administrative staff
- managing relationships between HMRC and customers
You could work at a client’s business or in an office.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could move through HMRC’s promotion structure to more senior or specialist posts.
You could go into the private sector as a tax adviser, or become a self-employed tax consultant.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.