Vending machine operative, vending operator
Vending machine operators fill, maintain and collect money from machines that dispense products like drinks and snacks.
Salary range: £16,000 to £28,000
How to become a vending machine operator
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You may be able to do a drinks dispense technician advanced apprenticeship.
You’ll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
Although you do not usually need specific qualifications to start work as a vending operator, having some GCSEs at grades 9 to 2 (A* to E) can give you an advantage, especially in English, maths or science. Knowledge of basic mechanical and electrical engineering would also be helpful.
Professional and industry bodies
You could join the Automatic Vending Association, for professional development, training opportunities and to make industry contacts.
You can find out more about the vending industry from the Automatic Vending Association.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to use, repair and maintain machines and tools
- practical skills for repairing and maintaining equipment
- knowledge of maths
- the ability to work well with your hands
- problem-solving skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to operate and control equipment
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- have a full driving licence
- have a good level of fitness
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- collecting money that’s been deposited
- filling and refilling machines with products
- cleaning vending machines
- making sure all machines are in good working order
- fixing minor faults
- calling out service engineers to carry out more complicated repairs
- completing paperwork
You could work in a stock room, at a client’s business or visit sites.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could become a supervisor or area manager, or set up your own vending business.