Warehouse operative, warehouse picker, warehouse supervisor
Warehouse workers take delivery of goods and pack orders for dispatch.
Salary range: £12,700 to £27,000
How to become a warehouse worker
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You can get into this job through a supply chain warehouse operative intermediate apprenticeship or an intermediate apprenticeship in warehousing and storage.
You’ll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can go directly into this job. It’s usual to start through temping or seasonal work.
You may not need qualifications, but some employers ask for GCSEs at grade 4 (C) in English and maths, or equivalent qualifications. You may also need basic IT skills.
You can find out more about careers and training in warehousing from The Chartered Institute for Logistics and Transport.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be flexible and open to change
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to work well with your hands
- thinking and reasoning skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- have forklift truck driver training for some jobs
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- taking delivery of goods and storing them
- checking for damaged or missing items
- moving stock by hand or with machines
- packing and wrapping goods
- loading goods for sending
- keeping stock records
- cleaning the warehouse
You could work in a warehouse.
Your working environment may be at height, physically demanding and outdoors in all weathers.
You may need to wear protective clothing.
Career path and progression
With experience you could become a team leader, shift supervisor or warehouse manager.
You could also move into quality control, freight planning or distribution.