Yoga teachers teach yoga as a form of exercise to increase fitness and wellbeing.
Salary range: Variable
How to become a yoga teacher
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- specialist courses run by private training organisations
You can do a yoga teaching qualification like:
- Level 3 Certificate in Teaching Yoga to Children Aged 5 to 16
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
- Level 4 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
It may be useful if you have a background in teaching exercise.
Entry requirements for these courses vary.
You can train as a teacher by doing yoga courses with a specialist training provider.
You can also get a teaching award from The British Wheel of Yoga, the national governing body for yoga in the UK.
You’ll usually need 2 years’ experience of practising yoga with a qualified teacher to teach it yourself.
Professional and industry bodies
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- knowledge of teaching and the ability to design courses
- customer service skills
- the ability to work on your own
- leadership skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- have insurance
- pass enhanced background checks, as you may be working with children and vulnerable adults
What you’ll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- designing course and lesson plans for a range of abilities
- teaching a wide range of simple and complex yoga positions
- adapting positions for conditions like pregnancy or arthritis
- teaching breathing habits
- assessing your students
- reviewing your own courses and teaching skills
You could work at a fitness centre or at a health centre.
Career path and progression
With experience you could run your own yoga workshops, yoga retreats, or holidays.
You may be able to train as a yoga therapist or take further qualifications to train yoga teachers.