Yoga therapists use yoga to help people with physical issues, emotional issues or specific health problems.
Salary Range: Variable
You can get into this job through:
- specialist courses run by private training organisations
You could take a course in yoga therapy approved by the British Council for Yoga Therapy. To do this you’ll usually need:
- a yoga teaching qualification
- a minimum of 120 hours of teaching yoga over one year
- to have been regularly practising yoga for a minimum of 3 years
You may need to show examples of recent study to prove that you can cope with the academic content of the course. A background in anatomy and physiology will be useful.
- you could join an accredited register managed by the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) or the Federation of Holistic Therapists
You can find more details about working in yoga from the British Council for Yoga Therapy.
Skills and knowledge
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- to enjoy working with other people
- physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- knowledge of psychology
- to be flexible and open to change
- sensitivity and understanding
- leadership skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
You’ll need to:
- pass enhanced background checks, as you may be working with children and vulnerable adults
- have a good level of fitness
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- doing a consultation with new clients to find out their physical condition, medical history and any related lifestyle factors
- deciding on an personalised programme of therapy to help with issues or symptoms
- working with clients on a one-to-one basis or in group classes
- teaching a range of yoga postures from simple moves to more complex ones
- teaching breathing exercises, relaxation and visualisation techniques
- giving advice on how to maintain good health and a sense of inner peace and relaxation
You could work at a fitness centre or at a health centre.
You could teach yoga, as well as practising as a self-employed therapist.