Zoologists study animals and their behaviour.
Salary Range: £21,000 to £48,000
You can get into this job by doing:
- a university course
You could study for a degree in a subject like:
- animal ecology
- animal behaviour
You’ll need a relevant postgraduate qualification like a master’s degree or PhD for some jobs, particularly in research.
You’ll usually need:
- 2 or 3 A levels, or equivalent, including biology for a degree
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study
Volunteering and experience
Volunteering in conservation work could strengthen your application for university courses.
You can find more details about careers and training in zoology from the Institute of Zoology.
Skills and knowledge
- knowledge of biology
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to work well with others
- science skills
- the ability to read English
- maths knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- excellent written communication skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- carrying out field and laboratory research
- studying animals in their natural environment or in captivity
- identifying, recording and monitoring animal species
- gathering and interpreting information
- using complex procedures, like computerised molecular and cellular analysis, and in-vitro fertilisation
- producing detailed technical reports
- giving presentations and publishing information in journals and books
- supervising technicians
You could work in a laboratory or at a research facility.
Your working environment may be outdoors some of the time.
With experience, you could move into other jobs like management, marketing, sales, scientific journalism or consultancy.
You could also work and study overseas.
©opyright The CV Writer
The career profiles database is designed to compliment the sreries of five Career Advice Guides. Providing information covering the qualifications, skills, expertise and an overview of the responsibilites required for each job role that you can use to build your CV, application letters, application forms and that all important job interview.
For a more detailed description of what’s included in the pack click here
By placing your order with The CV Writer you agree to our Terms and Conditions in full.